Why Does My Monitor Keep Going to Sleep?
A monitor can keep going to sleep because of a outdated graphics card driver or a short duration set in the Windows “power settings”.
High-quality systems with monitors generally offer excellent performance for a long period. However, at least once in a while, users face the problem of a monitor going to sleep.
The screen suddenly goes blank, and there is a high risk of losing data as well. Generally, this problem occurs with systems having Windows 7 or Windows 10.
This issue also occurs when the user upgrades the operating system from an older version to a newer one. There are effective solutions available to get rid of this problem.
Before moving to the solution, it is important to identify the causes. Once you have identified the causes, you can apply the appropriate solutions accordingly.
Given below are some of the most common causes why a monitor keeps going to sleep:
- Power-related settings: One of the most common causes of this issue is the system’s power settings. If the duration of sleep mode is very short, this issue is likely to occur almost every time. For instance, if it is set to 2 minutes, then the issue will persist until the settings are changed.
- The screen saver function: The screen saver functionality is available with various versions of the Windows operating system. When the screen saver is active, and the sleep mode also has a duration, there is a possibility of a monitor going into sleep mode when idle.
- Outdated graphics card driver: This is a major cause of this issue. When the graphics card driver is outdated, your system’s functionalities stop working and result in sleep mode.
How do I stop my monitor from going to sleep?
Some of the most common causes for the monitor going to sleep mode have been listed in the above section. To get rid of this issue, it is important to identify the major causes and then find a solution accordingly.
Here are some of the major methods to resolve the issue based on the causes:
- Modify the system’s power settings: When you encounter this issue for the first time in a system, it is important to first check the power settings.
- Open the start menu.
- Open the control panel.
- Look for ‘power options’ and select it.
- On the left pane, click on the option ‘change when the computer sleeps’.
- Modify ‘turn off the display duration’ and select a longer duration.
- Next, modify ‘put the computer to sleep’ duration and select the desired option.
- Save all the changes and see if the problem persists.
- Screen saver: After changing the power settings, it is necessary to disable the screen saver to eliminate the problem permanently. (For Windows 7 only)
- From the start menu, open the control panel.
- Choose the ‘appearance’ option.
- Click on the ‘change screen saver button.’
- From the drop-down list, choose the ‘none’ option.
- Purchase the latest version of the graphics card driver: Generally, a defective or inoperative graphics card driver can result in this issue. In this case, it is necessary to update the graphics card driver. This can be done automatically by installing certain online applications or tools in the system.
Why Monitor goes to sleep too fast-Windows 10
Windows 10 users often encounter the problem of a monitor going to sleep mode too fast. As mentioned earlier, it is essential to know the root causes of the issue before taking any action.
If the problem persists, please follow the steps below:
- Disabling screen saver in Windows 10: The functionality of a screen saver has been discussed in the above section. Given below are the steps to disable screen saver in a Windows 10 machine.
- Open the start menu.
- In the search bar, type ‘lock screen settings’ and click the option.
- At the bottom, click the ‘screen saver settings’ option.
- From the drop-down list, choose ‘none.’
- Power Troubleshooter: Click on the start menu and open the control panel.
- Look for the ‘troubleshooting’ option and select it.
- On the left pane, click on the ‘view all’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘power’ option.
- Follow basic instructions when they appear on the screen to run the power troubleshooter.
- Shut down and restart the system to check if the problem persists.
- Modify the sleep mode of the system:
- Open the start menu and choose the ‘settings’ option.
- Choose the ‘system’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘power and sleep’ option.
- Set the duration as desired and save the changes.
All the methods mentioned above are extremely useful to alleviate the sleep mode problem. After applying a particular method, it is important to check whether the problem is gone before going to the next solution.
Monitor goes to sleep when turning on the computer
This is an issue faced by almost all users, especially with Windows devices.
However, when this problem occurs, the first task that can be done is to turn off the system and restart it once again.
Most times a monitor will enter sleep mode because the system settings are set to conserve power.
The practice of conserving power is decent, but it might bring in issues that cannot be tolerated.
If the above method does not help resolve the issues, here are some of the most commonly used solutions for this problem:
- Modify the BIOS settings: To get rid of this problem, it is important to get back to the BIOS default settings.
- Go through the instructions manual of the system to open the BIOS setting of the system.
- Next, click the ‘load setup defaults’ option.
- Select the ‘reset to default’ option or any other option similar to this.
- Save the changes and check if the issue is resolved.
- Turn on the power display:
- Open the settings page.
- On the left pane, click on the ‘power and sleep’ option.
- On the left pane again, select the ‘choose when to turn off the display’ option.
- Select the option ‘never’ from all the drop-down boxes that appear.
- Restart and check if the problem exists.
In addition to the methods mentioned above, any of the solutions discussed in the previous sections can be applied based on the operating system or the causes of the problem.
Monitor goes to sleep when I close my laptop lid
When the computer lid is closed, the problem of a monitor going to sleep mode occurs very rarely.
But such an issue has been encountered by various users, irrespective of their operating systems.
Below are some simple steps which can be followed if this issue occurs:
- Change the Power settings
- Open the control panel.
- Choose ‘power’ options.
- Then choose ‘advanced power settings.’
- Look for the ‘power buttons and lid’ option.
- Click the ‘lid close’ option.
- Choose the ‘do nothing’ option for plugged-in attributes.
- Restart the system and check if the problem exists.
The above method can be used to get rid of this problem permanently. If the problem persists, solutions discussed in the next sections can be applied to resolve the issue.
Why does my monitor go to sleep randomly?
Monitors going into sleep mode randomly is an extremely frustrating issue that is faced by almost every system user. It is important to perform effective methods for the smooth functioning of the system.
There are several reasons for the occurrence of this problem. Different systems with different operating systems have different functionalities to resolve this issue.
Active screen saver, outdated graphics card drivers, inappropriate power settings, are some of the most common causes discussed in the previous sections.
It is suggested to refer to the previous sections to get complete details about the issues, causes, and solutions to get rid of this problem.
How to fix a MacBook Pro that keeps going to sleep
In addition to Windows users, Mac users are also facing the sleep mode problem.
Fortunately, this problem can be resolved for Mac users as well.
Here are the most effective solutions which are extremely beneficial to get rid of this problem quickly:
- Shut down the system.
- Hold down the power button for about 10 seconds.
- Then, restart your system.
Consider the System Management Controller (SMC) reset:
- Shut down the system.
- Use the built-in keyboard to press a few keys.
- Hold down the control key, option key, alt key, and shift key on the keyboard for about 10 seconds.
- Then press the power button.
- Press all the four keys once again for 10 seconds.
- Restart the Mac and check if the issue persists.
How do I stop my Acer monitor from going to sleep?
Acer is a leading manufacturer of computer systems and laptops, offering extensive features with high performance. Since sleep mode issues are very common, Acer monitors also suffer from such drawbacks.
As discussed in the previous sections, the major cause of sleep mode problems lies in the system’s power options. The power settings of the system can be accessed, and the relevant power settings can be changed to resolve the issue accordingly.
Another major cause is the screen saver. It is important to disable this function as well through the system settings.
There might be certain third-party applications installed in the system. These applications might also be major causes of sleep mode related issues. It is important to identify such applications and uninstall them as soon as possible from the system to avoid severe damage.
Applying the steps that have been given in the previous sections is recommended to resolve the issue permanently.
Certain methods are based on the type of operating system for the device. It is important to apply the steps according to its operating system.
For extensive help and support, the Acer community can be contacted online or offline for detailed information.
How do I stop my HP laptop from going to sleep?
HP laptops are high-quality systems with modern features and functionalities. But these laptops also face various troubles relating to automatic shut down or sleep mode.
Generally, HP laptops’ hybrid sleep feature must be disabled to resolve all kinds of sleep mode issues.
Shown below are a set of simple steps that can be followed to locate the hybrid sleep feature:
- Open the control panel from the start menu.
- Select the ‘system security’ option.
- Click on the ‘power’ option.
- Next, click on the ‘high-performance’ option.
- Click on the ‘change plan settings’ option.
- Next, click the ‘advanced power settings’ option.
- Look for the ‘sleep’ option and expand it.
- Look for ‘allow hybrid sleep’ option and expand it.
- Click it from the drop-down list.
- Save the changes and restart the system.
This method is considered to be extremely helpful in resolving sleep mode issues. Other methods that have been discussed in the previous sections can also be applied.
If none of the methods are useful in resolving the issue, contact the HP support team for further guidance and assistance.
How do I stop my Lenovo laptop from going to sleep?
Lenovo is one of the leading manufacturers of laptops offering high performance, but these laptops are prone to going to sleep when operating.
However, there are effective methods to alleviate this problem. Here are some easy steps to follow to solve this issue.
Since the same methods are to be used, previous sections can be referred to for detailed steps:
- The ‘put the computer to sleep’ option, which is available under the ‘power’ options of the control panel should be set to ‘never.’
- Disable the screen saver for the Windows operating system.
- If the problem persists, contact the Lenovo support team to get detailed information about the issue.